Dr. Jim provides tips about how to deal with disappointments and expectations. Whatever life throw at us, we should learn to hold on to God’s promises to us in this New Year, with all the effects of the pandemic and stress creeping into our lives.
A Very Happy New Year To You!
The old year rapidly wound down and another New Year has just burst onto the scene. This event often floods our mind with a mixture of disappointment and expectations. What do you hear when someone says ‘Happy New Year’ to you?
1. God desires for us to learn from out past but not be imprisoned there. Each of our pasts is filled with victories and defeats. We are to weave these into our character and embrace them as a foundation for future choices. However we are not to live in the past because God has a wonderful future for us. ‘Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices: my flesh also shall rest in hope.’ Psalms 16:9
2. It seems to me that the regrets of the past have too much power over us. I can recall times when it seemed as if Satan were personally visiting me (usually at a time when I should be celebrating God) and sat there reminding me of my past sins (choices). I found victory and peace by speaking directly to Satan and telling him that he was at the wrong address! While I admit to these choices, I am not the one who owes the debt.
Christ has forgiven me and if Satan had any questions or accusations, he needed to go to Heaven and take it up with Christ! This reality brought great release and freedom to me. ‘My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous’ 1 John 2:1
3. While forgiveness does not remove the consequences for our choices, it does bring a deep peace of His forgiveness and blessing IF we involve Him in our future choices. Too often we beg for His forgiveness, receive it, but do not make any changes in our lives so that future choices will be the wise ones. What takes place in our spirits MUST be transmitted into and through our physical/psychological parts of us too.
4. Thank God for your past – all of it, and accept His forgiveness and blessings for your future.
In addition to this blog, please check out our previous blog called:
New Year Prayer
1. God holds our future! ‘…And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.’ John 10:28
2. Your future depends upon involving God in every aspect of your life.
3. Walk in the light! There is such a freedom and joy when we make the choices to walk in the light (His ways) versus the dark (self-centered choices). The big reason is that by so doing we do not hinder the power of the Holy Spirit within us. This allows God to guide us to healthy and wise choices.
4. You cannot control your future – but you can control your choices. Have you noted how many times I have mentioned ‘choices’ in this article? My dear friend – that is what life is all about.
5. Lift up your head and live your life with expectation in what God is going to do. This is the fact that has kept me moving forward for so many years. During the years when I was single and nothing seemed to ‘click’, and even now as I face financial challenges, God is my hope and my future. I trust Him completely and I invite you to do so too.
Hold on to the promises of the Lord in 2021
Whatever unfolds in the year 2021 – it holds great promises for each of us. In Matthew 28:20 Christ states these words as He is about to leave for Heaven: ‘I am with you always, even unto the end of the world’.
As we enter into 2021, I believe that there are no better words than those that Christ shared with us in John 14:27, ‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful.’
Happy New Year!!